THE JOURNEY OF AN ABIKU


And here out of my abode,
in search of tears
I found her.
They called her Mother.

And then I was named.
What a beautiful name? Omolewami.
They said I was beautiful,
indeed I was beautiful as my name

I smiled as I rest on her bosom
And watched my friends 
mock her joy of motherhood,
Which will soon lapse.

After much celebration and merriment,
the clock started ticking
tick tock, tick tock
telling me, my time is up

I could hear my name
loud and clear
Pawonlekun!!!
it is time, come home.

Suddenly, I heard the cry of agony and grief
Coming from the house I was getting use to,
I was happy I could get enough tears
because I was the first.

Yes, Mother wasn't there
to see the once happiness turn sour
As I was laid to rest forever
But that was not over.

I came back on a second visit,
and was given a name different from the first,
Remilekun, they thought.
But they never knew, that the devil remains the devil.

I came on the third visit.
This time I wasn't named nor celebrated
Though I intend to stay a bit longer
So as to see them suffer for fun.

I fainted every now and then,
watch them shiver, running helter-skelter
"Get me water, call my husband!
Ara Adugbo, Egbami and lot more.

I wanted more tear but for a longer period
And then, that human - witch appeared,
She said, I was an Emere, an Abiku, 
give her a mark to detached her from them.
And We shall name her Ayedun.

I cried
I felt rejected and downcast.
I couldn't feel the connection
between this present world and my abode.

They turned their back on me
I tried fainting, it's no more working.
I called out to Yeye wa,
But I can see the anger emitting from her eye.

I had the feeling that does not  belong there anymore.
I could only accept fate and moved on.
I was loved by my parents,
respected by siblings who came after,

Been mocked by some, but I didn't bother.
From creche to high school.
College to the University.
And now married,
This life is indeed sweet.

© Eyes2heart


Translation

OMOLEWAMI:            Child is my Beauty
PAWONLEKUN:          Make them cry
REMILEKUN:              Wipe my tear 
ARA ADUGBO:            People in the environment
EGBAMI:                      Come to my aid.
EMERE :                       A child who can travel between the spiritual and physical world at will
ABIKU :                        Still Birth
AYEDUN:                      Life is sweet
YEYEWA:                     Our Mother

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A BLESSING OR CURSE