HAIRSTYLE AND IT'S INFLUENCE

"Why should I spend so much on hairdo, wearing expensive and artificial hair,  when I can rock my Natural or traditional hair without giving people different views of my status?

It happens that I felt I needed a new look and some fresh air, so I decided to look natural; I went to the salon and asked my stylist to make a simple hairdo just with my  natural hair. She was confused at first and asked if all was well and I assured her that all is well. The look on her face shows she wasn't satisfied with my answer. After she was done with the hair, I was so pleased that I felt I was two years younger.

Few days later, I met a younger family friend of mine, we exchange pleasantries; she went through her phone asking me to help her pick an hairstyle, because she doesn't know what type of hair to wear to the party she will be attending soon; after checking she demanded she sees my hairstyle to decide if she can do the same. Actually I was putting on a face cap,  so I uncovered my hair  and she was startled that she said, she doesn't believe an adult do weave ,  I was speechless that I began to ask myself what do my hairdo have  to do with my age, religion, educational background or current status.

I remember a friend went for an interview and was uncomfortable because of her natural hairdo; she was very late she could only do a light makeup, apparently she  forgot to take her wig along , but she was on  a nicely weaved natural hair; other interviewee were seriously staring at her like "is she part of us?

Therefore I went on a search on hairstyle and it's influence.
According to Wikipedia "hairstyle or hairdo , or haircut refers to the styling of hair, usually on the human scalp. Sometimes, this could also mean an editing of facial or body hair. The fashioning of hair can be considered an aspect of personal grooming, fashion , and cosmetics, although practical, cultural, and popular considerations also influence some hairstyles."

"Throughout times, people have worn their hair in a wide variety of styles, largely determined by the fashions of the culture they live in. Hairstyles are markers and signifiers of social class, age, marital status, racial identification, political beliefs, and attitudes about gender. Some people may cover their hair totally or partially for cultural or religious reasons."

"Today, women and men can choose from a broad range of hairstyles, but they are still expected to wear their hair in ways that conform to gender norms: in much of the world, men with long hair and women whose hair doesn't appear carefully groomed may face various forms of discrimination, including harassment, social shaming or workplace discrimination."

This is a great influence, not just on an individual but the society at large, which give notion of the society, the hairstyle was made from.

What's your take about this?

Eyes2heart

Photo Credit: www.nigerianobservernews.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A BLESSING OR CURSE